The end is near. This month’s block, Strawberry Star, is the last block in the Clementine Quilt Along supporting St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. All that’s left is to get the setting instructions and finish up the top.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my tips and tricks for this project and that they’ve helped you make your best quilt yet. With that, let’s get to this month’s tips.
Tips & Tricks
This month’s block didn’t give me nearly the troubles I had last month. In fact, I didn’t have to get the seam ripper out at all!! #humblebrag
I saved 7 inches in background fabric this month, saving over 30 inches for the entire project. Can you just imagine the possibilities with nearly an extra yard of fabric in the stash?! Here’s how I did it:
- Start by cutting two strips at 5-1/2 inches per the instructions to cut your 3 X 5-1/5 rectangles.
- From the remainder of the second strip, trim that to 3 inches to cut your 3 X 7 rectangles and two of your 3 X 3 squares. (Save that 2-1/2 inch strip that’s leftover. You’ll need it again.)
- Cut one strip at 3 inches instead of the two in the instructions to cut the remaining 14 3 X 3 squares. (This saves 3 inches.)
- Cut one strip at 3-1/2 inches per the instructions to cut your 2 X 3-1/2 rectangles.
- Trim the remainder of that strip to 2 inches to cut six of your 2 X 2 squares.
- Pull out that leftover strip from the second step, trim it to 2 inches, and cut the remaining 2 X 2 squares.
If you were able to cut like I was, you didn’t even need to cut the two 2 inch strips the instructions called for. Add that to the 3 inches saved in the third step above, you save 7 inches of background fabric this month!
I have loved using my Tula Pink fat quarter collection for this project. I’ve been saving them for something special, and Clementine was exactly the right project for them!
Get Caught Up
If you’re just discovering the Clementine Quilt Along, get caught up with all my tips and tricks!
If you’re quilting along, use #ClementineQuiltAlong to show the world your progress. And make sure to tag me so I’m sure to see them too! I’m @loveofthread on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.